Monday, December 17, 2018

An Introduction To The Fruit Of The Spirit (For Younger Kids)



A little while ago, I got the idea to do a "Fruits of the Spirit" series with my younger children. I've had so much fun pulling together each short "lesson" and finding games and activities to go with them!



I want to give a special shoutout to Jill over at Compassion Family, who also did a Fruits of the Spirit series for her Compassion kids! I drew some inspiration from her posts, as well as from DLTK-Bible's lesson "The Fruit Of The Spirit".

As always, you may copy and paste this letter and edit the parts in bold to fit you and your child's needs.

Dear (Name),
Hello my dear friend Name! How are you doing with your family?
Today I want to talk to you about fruit. Do you like fruit? What is your favorite fruit? I like type of fruit best, although they do not grow in our area so we have to buy them at the store. Did you know that the Bible talks about fruit? The Bible talks about special fruits called the Fruit of the Spirit. The Fruit of the Spirit is a very special fruit... it doesn't grow on trees, but in our hearts! Let me explain. The Bible says there are nine fruits of the Spirit. They are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. When we love God and learn a lot about Him, we will begin to love people, to be patient, to be kind, to be good, and so on. Just like big ripe fruits hanging from a tree for everyone to look at, everyone will see you acting in ways that please God. Just like a fruit tree that is healthy and well cared for will have a lot of yummy fruit on its branches, when we take care of our hearts and minds by praying and learning about Jesus, we will grow "fruit" like gentleness and joy. In my next letters, I will be writing more about each fruit of the Spirit and how we can "grow" it in our lives. If there is anything you don't understand about the Fruit of the Spirit, or if you want to know more about it, you can ask your pastor or one of the leaders at your Compassion center and they will be happy to explain it to you! For now, I have a big question for you... do you think you can memorize all nine of the Fruits of the Spirit? Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control! It's a big job but you are a smart girl/boy and I know you can do it! I am sending you a colorful chart to help you remember the different Fruits. Ask a leader at the Compassion center, (maybe the person who is reading you this letter!) to read the names of each of the Fruits to you. Try to learn one new Fruit each day... that way it will be easy! I am also sending you a fun counting activity that I hope you enjoy! You can ask a leader at the Compassion center to help you write down how many of each kind of fruit you can count!
I love you so much (Name), and I look forward to telling you more about the Fruit of the Spirit!
Love, (Sponsor)

With this letter, I included the colorful "Fruits of the Spirit" poster from over at Christian Preschool Printables!

I also included a fun "I Spy: Fruit" printable from over at And Next Comes L

If you are hand-writing or typing your letter (as opposed to sending it online) you might enjoy using this VERY bright and cheerful Free Fruit Border from Page Borders

Have fun writing to your kids!


Responses From my Kids:

"I did not know the Bible talks about fruit but I was told from the project and my favorite fruit is oranges. I don't know the fruit of the Holy Spirit but my father will help me to memorize them. I liked the pictures of fruits but I only know bananas." ~Gifty, 7, Uganda

"There is different fruits manufactured in our country. Like Mango, Avocado, Orange, Lemon and the like. This all are grown in everyone's house." ~Kerubel, 17, Ethiopia



No comments:

Post a Comment