Sunday, August 5, 2018

A Walk Around My Town: Post Office (For All Ages)


I love learning about my children's communities! Whether it's a picture or map they've drawn, a few sentences about what they like best about their community, or even a photo with a street or part of their town in the background; I always feel a bit closer to my kids if I can imagine where they live!

Many of our kids feel the same way about us... they love it when we give them little glimpses into our surroundings so they can picture us going about our daily routines.

So, I've made an effort to tell my children about my town, and share photos as well!I will be doing a "Walk Around My Town" mini-series on my blog and sharing some ideas for you to write to your sponsored kids about your community!



Since we all love to receive (and send) letters, I thought I'd start with the Post Office first!

Dear (Name),
Today I want to talk about something fun with you… getting letters! Do you like getting letters? I do! I want to tell you about how I receive letters. Here in (My Country), we get our letters at a building called the Post Office. I am sending you a picture of my Post Office… this is the place where I go to get your letters, and also where I go to mail my letters to you! When you first go to the post office, you register your name with the office and they give you a number and a key. Then, whenever you want to see if you have any letters, you go into a room that has walls covered in tiny square doors from top to bottom. Each door has a number on it. You go to the little door that has your number on it, unlock it with your key, and open it to see if there are any letters inside. Some people go to the post office every day, and some people like to go once a week. I usually go two or three times a week. Most times I don’t have any letters, but sometimes there is a letter and then I get very excited! I think working in a post office would be a very fun job to have! A Post Office job means sorting all the letters that are received, and making sure that the letters get into the hands of the right people. It also means packaging up the letters that people want to mail, and selling things like stamps and envelopes.
Now it’s your turn!

1. How do you receive letters from me? Are the letters delivered to your home, or do you get them at the Compassion project?
2. How often is the mail delivered?
3. If you receive letters at the project, does someone call the children's names one-by-one or do you get your letters privately?
4. Do all the children at your project get letters from their sponsors?

I look forward to hearing from you again!

You can include a photo of your post office with this letter. If you're not comfortable taking a photo of your post office, or you don't have a camera, you can often get a good photo by using the Google Streetview of your town, or doing a web search for places in your community. You can also do as I've done here, and use WikiMedia Commons to find free-to-use photos of the inside of a generic post office!

Wikimedia Commons Image

Have a friend or family members who works in a post office or as a mail carrier? Why not grab a photo with them, or do an interview with them about their job and what they enjoy about it?

You can also include a fun Coloring Page of a post office!

Have fun writing to your kids!

Five-year-old Williams from Bolivia needs a sponsor! This is the street where his project is located!


No comments:

Post a Comment